Alan D. Eisenberg
Milwaukee,Wisconsin 

Home  Real Estate  Property Search  Historic Mansion  Map/Directions
Radio Show  Alan EisenBlog  Viva Villa  Biography
  Contact Us  Links

 

 

Rudolph Stafford Mansion
Circa 1892

 

 

In July, 1996, Alan D. Eisenberg moved his offices to the Stafford Mansion in one of Milwaukee's mansion districts in the Merrill Park Neighborhood of the West End District. This elegant mansion was built in 1892 by Rudolph Stafford, at an estimated cost of $10,000. Mr. Stafford was president of the R. Stafford Company, which specialized in fruit and fancy groceries (the V. Richards of its day).

The central focal point and jewel of the interior of the building is the grand staircase, handcrafted in select oak, which, it is estimated would cost about $100,000 to replace today. Originally the residence contained six elaborate fireplaces, four of which were destroyed in later years due to vandalism and abuse.

At the time the home was built, it was located just inside of Milwaukee's western boundary on what was then Grand Avenue. Many of Milwaukee's famous first families settled in this area during the late 1800's.

In 1921, shortly after World War I, the Staffords sold this home to Oliver O'Boyle who was Chief Corporation Counsel for Milwaukee County. Mrs. Stanley Waldheim, the fifth of the six O'Boyle children has related what it was like to live in this magnificent house. The O'Boyles sold the house in 1945 at a price of $10,500 to Mrs. Bertha Wilcox who turned the home into a boarding house. Five or ten years earlier, however, the house would have commanded two to three times the amount, but the surrounding area had begun to change and was becoming a neighborhood of rooming houses for transients.

In 1955 the Milwaukee Board of Realtors purchased the property for $36,300 and found it necessary to remove much of what was installed by Mrs. Wilcox. In conjunction with the Bicentennial of 1976, the Milwaukee Board of Realtors invested $60,000 to renovate the building with period decorating, fixtures and furniture to reflect its original flavor. The original parlor now serves as a Conference Room and the original dining room is used for central office operations and features an expansive arched leaded glass window overlooking 31st Street. There are many other architectural features of our building, too numerous to describe.






click photos above to see Stafford Mansion on Google Streets

Web Search - Stafford Mansion Milwaukee
Web Search - 3111 West Wisconsin Avenue Milwaukee, WI


Visitors to Date
 

� 2013 Alan D. Eisenberg - All rights reserved - Revised: 29-Jun-2013.